This page provides information on how to request assistance from HPC staff. Self-service help, including information on how to apply for accounts, user guides, and training materials can also be found in various locations throughout this website.
Requesting Help In-Person
For information on receiving help in person during HPC’s regularly scheduled office hours or to arrange a consultation session, see the Office Hours and Consultation page.
Requesting Help On-Line
If you cannot find the HPC information you need on this website, you can send email to email@example.com to reach HPC staff. Email sent to this address will go into ITS’ customer ticketing system, ServiceNow. Alternatively, you can fill out a request form directly on the ServiceNow self-service portal. To make a request through the portal:
- Go to https://itsusc.service-now.com/ess_portal. NOTE: You will be asked to log in using your USC NetID username and password.
- From the Request a Service menu, choose Full Service Catalog.
- On the service catalog page, choose Research Computing.
- On the Research Computing page, choose High Performance Computing.
- On this page, you can choose to make a general inquiry (General Inquiry) or submit a request for condo resources (Condo Resources) or to have software added or removed from HPC (Software Management).
Describing Your HPC Problem
When you send HPC staff an email or submit a request through our ticketing system, it’s important to provide the detailed information that will help us understand your problem and find the right solutions.
If you are trying to run a job, please include the following information:
- Job ID
- Lines from your PBS file or job submission request
- Error messages
- PBS output or error files
- Portions of your code, for example, any libraries you install or import
Be sure to include any of the following that may be related to your problem:
Finally, please tell us if there are inconsistencies, such as:
- Did some jobs run on some nodes but not on others?
- Is the behaviour reproducible or erratic?
- Has the behavior you’re experiencing changed recently? When?
If you are trying to use or install software, please include:
- Name and version of the software
- Commands that give you an error
- Any error messages you receive
- A link to the website or github repository you installed the software from
- A link to the installation directions